Many people are guilty of only treating themselves on a rarity, is this you? In such a past paced world, the cost of living is expensive, you need to save, you have bills to pay for and then treating yourself becomes bottom of the list. If you are a busy person treating yourself becomes something that is seen more of a hinderance than a help, when your time is so limited. You are always thinking about something you see as productive you could be doing rather than looking after yourself. However, this is not a healthy way to live your life.
Showing yourself some love and treating yourself should be a part of your regular self care routine. Self care is choosing to look after your mental health and making yourself a priority. Treating yourself does not necessarily mean going out and spending lots of money, it can be small inexpensive gestures that make you happy and gives you time to relax. The key is to regular treat yourself as it acts as a reset button which means you feel refreshed and motivated.
Life is busy for a lot of people now, if you are working full time and have a family, time can completely run away. If you struggle to fit everything in, taking time out for yourself can feel near on impossible. I know that a lot of my friends who are mums that they struggle to find time for anything but sleep. That is why small ways to treat yourself can be extremely helpful for busy people. No matter the time of year there are always inexpensive ways that you can use to treat yourself kindly and to help with health and mental health.
Here are 70 things you can do to treat yourself when your schedule is busy:
- Make yourself a healthy meal
- Have a lay in on a day off
- Have a duvet day
- Watch your favourite films
- Give yourself a pamper
- Spend time with loved ones
- Buy yourself something you’ve wanted
- Challenge self doubting behaviour
- Remove yourself from toxic situations
- Journal your feelings or memories
- Read a self help book
- Learn new skill
- Show random acts of kindness
- Talk to someone about your feelings
- Speak kindly about yourself
- Learn a new hobby
- Apply for that job you really want
- Go for a walk locally in nature
- Sit quietly with your thoughts Photo Taisiia Stupak on Unsplash
- Book yourself a holiday or mini getaway
- Go to a dinner with loved ones
- Make continuous effort to believe in yourself
- Say no to something when you really do not want to do it
- Watch your favourite TV shows
- Take note of your imperfections and love them
- Go to a concert or a show
- Get creative with a colouring book
- Read a book
- Have a long bath or a shower
- Put off the housework for a day
- Schedule some time alone in your week
- Have a warm drink
- Go out dancing
- Sing along to your favourite songs
- Buy yourself a new outfit
- Bake something yummyPhoto by Ellieelien on Unsplash
- Get your hair done
- Start meditating
- Visit your favourite shop
- Take an afternoon nap
- Listen to a motivational podcast
- Visit the beach
- Buy yourself a new pair of shoes
- Order your favourite takeaway
- Put on a face mask
- Buy yourself a piece of jewellery
- Take photographs with loved ones to capture memories
- Explore a new place
- Get a massagePhoto by The Creative Exchange on Unsplash
- Achieve something from your bucket list
- Organise and declutter your workspace
- Make a vision board or scrapbook
- Have a social media detox
- Buy yourself some flowers and chocolates
- Go to the cinema
- Watch a sunset
- Have a yoga session
- Sit outside in the sun and soak up that vitamin D
- Put on fresh bedding
- Start a morning routine that works for you
- Have an early night
- Start a gratitude journal
- Watch some of your favourite youtube channels
- Read your favourite blogs
- Start an evening routine that works for you
- Cook a meal for you and your loved ones
- Hug your loved ones
- Make some homemade soup
- Buy yourself some new bath products
- Buy a house plant
These are just 70 ideas that you could choose from when you have some time to yourself and you want a treat. Remember it is important to look after yourself and your mental health especially through tough times.
What is one way you treat yourself when you are busy? I’d love to hear in the comments.
Shelly Latinovich says
Wow! Fantastic list of self pampering ideas! I especially love the duvet day and random acts of kindness!
Thank you for reading and commenting. Can you link your blog?
These are really good suggestions. I really enjoy reading self help books, watching my favourite YouTube videos and eating. 😀
Putting on fresh bedding is one of my favourite ways to perform self care because who doesn’t love the feel of fresh bedding! I’m considering starting a gratitude journal as well x
100%! If 2020 has taught me anything it’s to take self care seriously. This is such a great long list! I personally love baking, crafting and rewatching old fav series! I’m ordering take out right after this comment! Thanks for sharing x
Glad you found this list helpful.
Great ideas – some are so simple that we forget how good for you they are. For me it’s a face mask, 10 minutes of total relaxation, I have to make it a regular thing though. Also reading a book, even a chapter would be wonderful.
What is the difference between having a lay-in on a day off and a “duvet day”? I suspect it’s probably something I already do but don’t have a name for it lol
I love that you came up with so many suggestions. I think sometimes it can be hard to find a new way to spoil ourselves when we deserve it.
When I am busy, one of my favourite ways to treat myself is to order takeaway so I don’t have to cook. Especially if I can find something I can freeze some for later or have for a few days (to also save myself future cooking!).
A duvet day means spending the day in bed. That’s great you have your favourite ways to treat yourself. Thank you for reading and commenting. Can you link your blog?
I did number 2 yesterday and it was sooooo good!!
Glad you have found this post relatable! Thank you for reading and commenting.
There are so many good ideas here. Part of the reason I’ve created a monthly colouring page is because I want people to be able to print them out, kick back and colour in. That and I hope I can combine them all together at the end of the year for a full 12 page PDF full of pages! Colouring is one of my fav things to do 🙂
Colouring is so relaxing isn’t it! Thank you for reading and commenting.