Summer is a time when most people slow down. You may spend your weekends laying on the beach or in your garden, just taking in the sunshine. You may even be lucky enough to go on a holiday. When you have the ability to slow down, it gives you the opportunity to reflect and journaling is the best way to do this.
What is journaling and what are journaling prompts?
Journaling is simply recording your thoughts and feelings as well as your daily or weekly activities. There are so many different types of journaling; you don’t even need to put pen to paper as you can journal digitally too!
Journaling prompts are questions and statements that can prompt you to write about. You can use journal prompts if you are struggling with what to write and morning pages are popular for this. If you want to start a self-discovery journey, using journal prompts can help you to learn more about yourself and what you want from life.
Photo by Andres Molina on Unsplash
65 Summer journaling prompts
These are 65 journaling prompts that you can write about, learning more about yourself as well as being present and enjoying the season. Try these prompts this Summer:
- Where is your favourite place to go during the Summer?
- What are your favourite family summer traditions?
- Which places are on your summer bucket list?
- Share one of your favourite summer childhood memories.
- What do you want to do most this Summer?
- If you could go anywhere on holiday, where would you go? And why?
- What do you like most about the Summer?
- What do you dislike about the Summer?
- How do you like to spend your Summer?
- What are some of your favourite summer activities?
- Do you prefer the beach or the pool and why?
- Is your mental health better in the Summer? Why do you think that is?
- Which things give you the summer vibes?
- Would you rather holiday at the beach or the mountains? Why?
- Do you enjoy the hot weather?
- What is your favourite song about the Summer?
- Why does the Summer feel so magical to you?
- What do you think is the best way to spend a hot Summer’s day?
- What is your favourite book about the Summer? Which characters do you love and why?
- Write about the last time you visited a beach.
- Write about a memorable summer job.
- What are your favourite summer campfire treats?
- What would be your favourite way to celebrate the end of summer?
- What would be your least favourite summer activity to do and why?
- What have you achieved so far this year?
- Do you know what your biggest dream is?
- What is your perfect summer picnic menu?
- What are your goals this Summer?
- Write your summer bucket list.
- What is your greatest hope for the rest of the year?
- Describe the scents and colours of the Summer.
- Plan a staycation for the end of the Summer. Where have you not explored in your local area?
- What do you love about eating outside in the Summer?
- What do you dislike about eating outside in the Summer?
- How do you know when the Summer has truly arrived?
- What are you grateful for this Summer?
- How do you feel this Summer?
- What do you feel good about this Summer?
- What is the Summer like in your country? Why do you like/dislike it?
- How can you be kinder to yourself this Summer?
- How will you look after your mental health?
- Summer happiness looks like…
- What is your personal summer style?
- What is your main goal this year?
- Do you have a favourite summer book? What is the title?
- Describe the Summer is 5 words.
- What do you do to feel confident in the Summer?
- What is one habit that you would like to start this Summer?
- How do you intend to look after your physical health this Summer?
- Have you changed your self-care routine for the Summer? How and why?
- What plans do you have for next Summer?
- What songs are on your Summer playlist?
- Do you feel happier in the Summer? Why?
- What is my goal you would like to achieve by the end of the Summer?
- Write a short story about summer
- Describe your favourite outdoor summer game? Why do you like it?
- List your 10 favourite foods that remind you of the Summer.
- Do you celebrate 4th July? If so, do you have any traditions.
- It is BBQ season, share your favourite BBQ recipes.
- What is the Summer season like where you live? Do you like to stay where you live during the Summer?
- Photos in a day. Share a day in the life of using photos only.
- Watch a sunrise or sunset and write about what you see
- What are you wearing? Share your summer style.
- Do you like gardening? What are some summer gardening tips?
- If you could spend summer anywhere, where would it be? Who would you go with?
So, these are 65 journaling prompts which I hope you can use you to inspire you with your journaling, not just this Summer, but for future summers, or even to write about other seasons during the year!
If you have children, you can tailor these to suit your family situation. They could also be a great way to teach children how to journal for their own self-discovery and to improve their writing skills.
Do you like to journal in the Summer? I’d love to hear in the comments.