Do you find yourself holding on to mementos and collecting things that hold special memories for you? Keeping a scrapbook can be a way for you to treasure those memories.
I love collecting mementos; I have always kept hold of special birthday cards, tickets for shows and concerts and receipts from special days ever since I was young. I love being able to look back at memories and reminiscing the feelings of happiness and joy.
What is a scrapbook and what is scrapbooking?
A scrapbook is an album, a journal or notebook where you can keep precious memories scrapbooking is a method of preserving and arranging your personal and family history in the form of a book, box or card. Your scrapbook can be simple, or you can decorate your pages with a variety of supplies and can add written descriptions and even add extensive journal entries.
Keeping a scrapbook organises your pictures and helps you keep a journal of memories. As your day-to-day life when you record it becomes your history. If you store them correctly, they can be preserved for many generations.
Photo by Kristyna Squared.one on Unsplash
What things can you scrapbook?
There are no wrong things to scrapbook, it is a personal experience. The typica; memorabilia that is included in a scrapbook is photographs, printed media and artwork. You can include anything that you would like to keep safe.
There is so much content that you can put into your scrapbook including:
- Holiday memories
- Family photos
- Your drawings/doodles/your kids’ drawings or paintings
- Your paintings
- Travel memories
- Fashion inspiration
- Mood boards
- Vision boards
- Inspirational quotes
- Journaling inserts
- Magazine cut outs
- Email/text photos
- Receipts from events/adventures
- Concert/show tickets
- Wristbands from events
- Your stories
- A baby scrapbook
- Graduation journey
- Christmas memories
- Family heritage
- Anniversaries scrapbook
- Friendship scrapbook
- Birthday scrapbook
- Pregnancy scrapbook
- Arts and crafts scrapbook
- Fan club scrapbook eg. your favourite band
- Romantic keepsake scrapbook
- Birthday cake scrapbook
- Achievements and awards scrapbook
- Fashion and style scrapbook
Best scrapbook supplies to get you started
You do not need a huge list of supplies to scrapbook, but if like me you want to be a bit more creative with your memories, this list is for you. If you are a scrapbook beginner, this list is going to help you get the basics you will need.
If you want to decorate your scrapbook, but you’re not good at drawing or doodling, stickers can be an easy way to add colour and make pages look more creative. You can find cheap scrapbooking stickers on Etsy and Amazon.
2. Washi tape
Again, if you are wanting to present a colourful scrapbook, using washi tapes is an inexpensive way to add decorating. You can use washi tape as borders on your pages, underlying titles and even use it to stick photos and mementos on the pages. There are all sizes and designs of washi tape that you can choose from to fit our aesthetic.
3. Best pens for scrapbooking
When you are writing descriptions or journal inserts it can be important to have a good pen that will make your writing clear and ensure your pages do not have smudging, ghosting or bleeding. You will also need to ensure a higher gsm to ensure the pages can withstand using your supplies on them.
Photo by Kristyna Squared.one on Unsplash
Best pens and markers for scrapbooking:
- Muji Gel Ink Ballpoint Pens 0.5mm – these pens give you a smooth, clean finish
- Sakura Pigma Micron Pens – I choose the 0.5, 0.8 and the pn pens for writing and drawing in your scrapbook
- Staedtler Triplus Fineliners 0.3mm – these pens are great for writing, drawing and doodles, that also will add colour to your pages
- Tombow Dual Brush Pens – there are so many colours to choose from, you will always find a shade for your scrapbook designs. The pen has a fine tip for precise, consistent lines and tight drawings. The other end is a brush tip that are soft and durable. As they are water-based they work like water colour paints and blend effortlessly. These pens are perfect for colouring and writing fun titles.
Scrapbooking is a fun activity and there are so many benefits to keeping a scrapbook including:
- It can boost your mood
- Creates a memory lane that you can reflect on at any point
- It promotes creativity
- Can relieve stress or anxiety
- Allows you to express yourself
- Allows you time to reflect on personal experiences
- Gives you a sense of pride and boost your self-esteem when you complete a page or finish your scrapbook
These are some of the benefits to scrapbooking and it is a different but fun way to relax and treasure memories.
I really enjoy scrapbooking and having those precious keepsakes from times of joy in my life. I love to be able to look back over the years and reminisce on times that made me smile and love to my life. In an ever increasing world of technology it is nice to be able to get out the crafting supplies and creating something I can treasure forever.
Have you ever scrapbooked before? I’d love to hear in the comments.